The Cubs’ struggles continued as they lost three out of four to another rebuilding team in the Pirates. The storyline in this series was sloppy defense which cost them the final game of the series. Now Chicago is rewarded with a trip to St. Louis for three games with the first-place Cardinals.
The offense is powered by Paul Goldschmidt, who is having an MVP-caliber season with a 1.048 OPS and 17 home runs so far in 2022. The big first baseman beat up on the Cubs pretty badly the last time these two squared off. Tommy Edman is also having a nice year, especially on defense, and he has a team-best 4.1 WAR.
Starting pitchers Miles Mikolas, Adam Wainwright, and Dakota Hudson are all having very good years, though Pat Hughes will tell you the records don’t matter when the Cubs and Cardinals play. Staff ace Jack Flaherty is back as well to fill out a very good unit, and he’ll face the Cubs in this series.
The Cubs are definite underdogs, but that was also the case when the Braves visited Wrigley. With a 100-loss season very much a possibility, the only real hope for the rest of the season is to play spoiler.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Friday, June 24 at 7:15pm CT on Apple TV+
- Saturday, June 25 at 1:15pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
- Sunday, June 26 at 1:15pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
What to Watch For
- Patrick Wisdom has six hits in his last three games, including two home runs.
- Alfonso Rivas has seven RBI the last two games.
- Nico Hoerner also had six hits against the Pirates.
- Harrison Bader just goes to another level when he plays the Cubs, so I’m sure he will have a huge day or two.