Chicago Cubs vs San Diego Padres – Series Preview (June 13-16): Overview, Game and Broadcast Info, Starting Pitchers, W2W4
Things are not going well for the Cubs right now as they’re mired in a five-game losing streak. Injuries are adding stress to a roster already constructed to tank and now another playoff team is coming to Wrigley Field.
The Padres are just a half-game back of the Dodgers for first place in the National League West and the driving force behind their success is an outstanding starting pitching rotation. Sean Manaea, Yu Darvish, and especially Joe Musgrove are having huge seasons on the mound.
Manny Machado is still the big bat in the Padres offense, although he has cooled off recently. While Eric Hosmer and Jurickson Profar are also potential threats, this is still a squad that beats you with pitching and defense.
The Cubs actually won two of three in San Diego in May, but they are in a much tougher position right now. The pitching staff is in shambles thanks to injuries to Marcus Stroman and Wade Miley, and the bullpen is starting to break under pressure and things could go downhill from here.
As bleak as things look, though, even the worst teams have something good happen for them every once in a while. It would certainly be a refreshing change of pace on the North Side if they could win a series.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Monday, June 13 at 7:05pm CT on MLB Network (out of market only) and Marquee Sports Network
- Tuesday, June 14 at 7:05pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
- Wednesday, June 15 at 7:05pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
- Thursday, June 16 at 1:20pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
What to Watch For
- Hendricks is making a start after missing a turn in the rotation to rest his arm. It might be a possible explanation for his shaky performances lately.
- Ian Happ continued his recent hot hitting with three hits, including a home run, on Sunday in New York.
- Christopher Morel is finally cooling off a bit with two consecutive hitless games. Here’s hoping it’s only a little bump in the road.