The Cubs (15-21) are finally on a bit of a roll the last 10 days and have won three series in a row. A four-game winning streak was just snapped in a tough loss to Pittsburgh Wednesday night that followed two shutout wins. Now Chicago welcomes a Diamondbacks (18-21) team they just saw in the desert last week to Wrigley for a four-game set.
The two teams played a set of low-scoring games that were all decided in the late innings, with the Cubs putting up 9th inning runs in the last two games to win the series. Arizona’s bullpen was just roughed up in a four-game sweep by the Dodgers in Los Angeles and might not be in the best shape for this four-gamer.
The Snakes’ starting pitching is still lights out so far this season, though, and first baseman Christian Walker has enough power to carry the team on his own. With three homers against the Dodgers, he’s surely feeling confident right about now. Star Infielder Ketel Marte is starting to heat back up as well after a very slow start.
The Cubs just demonstrated they could beat this team last week and they’ve got confidence and momentum of their own heading into the long weekend. With the starting pitching stabilizing, at least somewhat, the next step is to get the offense into gear. It won’t be easy with their undermanned lineup, but things might actually start getting interesting on the North Side if the runs start coming more regularly.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Thursday, May 19 at 6:40pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
- Friday, May 20 at 1:20pm CT on MLB Network (out of market only) and Marquee Sports Network
- Saturday, May 21 at 1:20pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
- Sunday, May 22 at 1:20pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
What to Watch For
- With Marcus Stroman’s return, the Cubs finally have their top three starters together in the rotation.
- Ian Happ was able to reach base seven times against the Pirates, including a homer.
- Seiya Suzuki is on a seven-game hitting streak and he looks locked in at the plate.
- Alfonso Rivas is in a 1-for-15 slump as pitchers adjust to him.