Cubs Cruise Past the A’s, Win 5th Straight
The Chicago Cubs were cruising along easily in this one, as we reported our mid-game report. They were dominating 7-0 heading into the fifth inning and Jon Lester was nearly un-hittable.
Things got a little rough for Jon in the bottom of the sixth inning. After giving up only one hit through six innings, Lester gave up a home run, two singles and a double, leading to two runs for the Athletics. It was a 23 pitch inning and the only time the A’s gave him any trouble all night.
Carl Edwards, Jr. and Joe Smith combined to finish things out for the Cubs. They gave up no hits, walked one and struck out two, ok, well Edwards struck out two.
The Cubs cruise in this one and win 7-2 (Box Score).
Stats that mattered
- Lester, with the exception of the sixth inning, was dominant – 7.0IP, 2R, 6H, 8K, 1HR
- Dexter Fowler set the tone early for the Cubs – 2-for-5, 1R, 1RBI, 1HR
- Good to see Jorge Soler hit a home run in his first at-bat off the DL
- Kris Bryant just gets on base – 2-for-4, 1BB
- Addison Russell had a nice game – 2-for-3, 1R
The Cubs have won five in a row and 8 of their last 10 games. They seem to be rolling along quite nicely right now. Everything feels like it’s falling into place to be able to make a solid post-season push – well, everything except whatever is happening with Tommy La Stella. You can read more about that situation here.
The Cubs take on the Athletics on Saturday at 3:05 PM CDT with Jake Arrieta (12-5, 2.75) taking the hill.